Frank Elementary School was one of the first elementary schools to be built in Kenosha. The land for the school was purchased in March of 1894. The original plans calling for a four-room building were accepted on August 27, 1895. The minutes of the Board of Education’s meeting of February 11, 1896, list the cost of the school at $10,974.
The Board decided to name the new school in honor of Col. Michael Frank. One of the most distinguished early settlers of Kenosha, Col. Frank is known as “The father of the common school system of Wisconsin.”
Unanticipated overcrowding of local schools triggered plans for a two-room addition in 1897. Continuing growth in enrollment encouraged the school board’s suggestion to once again enlarge the school. In 1911, the school expanded with an eight-room addition. Because the 14-room school now extended to the boundaries of the lot, it was necessary to buy additional land for playground space.
On November 5, 1992, the School Board approved plans for the construction of a gymnasium/auditorium addition. Construction of a $7.8 million, 50,000 square foot addition, begun in 1996, added nine classrooms, an instructional media center, gymnasium, two computer rooms, a health room, science room, art room, music room, and an expanded main office, completing the school as it stands today. The handicapped-accessible school and new addition was re-dedicated on October 8, 1997.